The 1913 Lockout commemorated in Mayo (Mayo Library)
Date(s): September Times to be arranged
For More Information, Contact:
Phone: +353 (0)94 9047923
The 1913 Lockout will be commemorated in Mayo in September by a series of exciting events. These range from free books to readings and lectures and a schools competition. The events listed below are all free and organised by the Council’s Commemoration Strategy Committee.
- One County, One Book -500 copies of Strumpet City to be given away to the people of Mayo in August 2013. Call to your local library for your free copy of James Plunkett’s classic novel set during the lockout. Books will be given out on a first come first served basis. People are encouraged to read the book and then attend our lecture or reading where it will be discussed in an informal setting. Book clubs in particular are encouraged to read the book.
- Strumpet City and Social History– lecture by Dr. Catriona Clear (NUI Galway) in Castlebar Library – September 18th
- Dramatic reading from Strumpet City – by Strumpet City and Fair City actor Bryan Murray in Ballina Library – September 25th.
- Essay competition in partnership with Mayo Education Centre
- Presentation to secondary school students by Dr Michael Mulchrone, Professor Emeritus in Communication Studies, from the University of Portland, Oregon. Please contact Austin Vaughan at 094 9047923 to book a lecture.
View All Library Events