View Document (PDF)
Antiquities in Shrule parish, from Irish Tourist Association Survey, 1945
There are nine pages in the Shrule survey devoted to descriptions of the antiquities of the parish. These include:
Shrule Castle:- Detailed architectural description is provided. The castle was built by the Burke family, date unknown. In 1570 it was taken by Sr. Edward Fitton, but subsequently taken back by the Burkes.
Ballycurran Castle:- Again a detailed architectural description is provided, with a rough sketch of the ground floor. Nothing known of its history – may have been a Burke stronghold.
Kinlough Castle and church:- Architectural details described. Little known of their history, apart from the fact that Kinlough was held by Burke of Ballinrobe Castle.
Moyne Castle:- Architectural description given but no historical details.
Mocorha Castle:- Again no historical record but probably a Burke castle.
Church ruins in Shrule graveyard. Marked on Ordnance Survey map as St. Colman’s church. Thought to have been a former parish church.
Church ruins in Moyne
Church ruins in Brodullagh South
Cahermore – cashel in townlands of Brodullagh and Kinlough
Cashelled souterrain in Kinlough
Souterrains in Cahernabrock, Brodullagh and Mocollagan townlands.
Dalgan Park ruins:- House built over a hundred years prior to the survey. Originally residence of the Kirwan family.
Ballycurran House ruins:- Originally residence of Lynch family.
St. Patrick’s well in Dalgan.
The headings for the survey are listed below. Clicking on the heading will open the relevant section in the survey.