View Document (PDF)
Antiquities in Kilmore-Erris parish, from Irish Tourist Association Survey, 1943
There are numerous antiquities described for Kilmore-Erris parish. These include:
- Cross Abbey:- Located two miles west of Binghamstown. Apart from the church ruins there are no traces of other monastic buildings.
- St. Deirbhile’s church and Well:- Located at Fallmore. St Deirbhile was a nun who lived in the sixth century.
- Termoncarra Church:- About six miles from Belmullet, near Frenchport, in an old burial ground. Church ascribed to St. Deirbhile.
- Inishglora:- The island was uninhabited at the time of the survey, the last residents having left for the mainland about a decade earlier. The ruins of monastic buildings include St. Brendan’s oratory, Teampul na Naomh (also known as Teampul na bhFear), Teampul na mBan, and St. Brendan’s Cell. Other antiquities include St. Brendan’s Well and the supposed burial place of the children of Lir. Other traditions and superstitions associated with the island are also mentioned.
- Inishkea Islands:- Ruins of church erected by St. Columba on the north island and a foundation of St. Deirbhile on the south island.
- Duvillaun Islands:- a killeen on Duvillaunmore and a stone inscribed with two crosses.
- Bingham Castle:- Ruins of castle overlooking Elly Bay. Evacuated by the bingham family in 1925.
- Leacht Air Iorruis:- 15 feet high cairn near Binghamstown. Supposedly erected to commemorate a battle between Queen Maeve and a Munster king. Nearby are two stone circles and a little further away was believed to be the location of Trunnc na Caillighe, the burial place of the stepmother of the Children of Lir.
- Grave of ancient warrior:- near Binghamstown, reputed to be the grave of the King of Munster killed in the battle with queen Maeve at Leacht Air Iorruis.
- Promontory forts:- these include the ruins of fortresses at Doonamoo Point, Scotchport, Spinkadoon and Dún Fiachra.
- Glun an Asail:- Large stone flag on the summit of Termon Hill, where St. Deirbhile is believed to have rested on the way to build the church at Fallmore.
- Watch towers:- these were built in the early 19th century amid fears of an invasion of Britain by Napoleon. Located at tipp, Termon Hill and Inishkea.
The headings for the survey are listed below. Clicking on the heading will open the relevant section in the survey.