View Document (PDF)
Historic sites in Annagh parish, from Irish Tourist Association Survey, 1944
Listed here are some notable figures associated with Ballyhaunis. These include:
- Rev. Fulgentius Jordan, prior of the Augustinian Abbey, martyred in 1642, and buried in the Abbey.
- Bernard O’Gara, Archbishop of Tuam, resided in the abbey and erected a memorial to his father in 1739. There are brief notes on the history of the O’Gara family.
- Lord Dillon, who converted to Protestantism in 1769 in order to hold onto hislands, is buried in the abbey.
- William Burke of Murrisk Abbey resided in the Augustinian Abbey in 1770. He was author of “The Lament for Murrisk”
- Rev. J. O’Neill was prior of the abbey in 1811
- Bishop Heavey of Cairins, Queensland, Australia was born in Ballyhaunis.
The headings for the survey are listed below. Clicking on the heading will open the relevant section in the survey.