Acquisitions & Donations to Dec. 2008
The following acquisitions and donations have been acquired by Mayo County Library prior to December 2008:
Mayo County Library is an approved body under Section 484 of the Taxes Consolidation Act, 1997. Tax relief is available to individuals or corporations on cash donations between €100 and €1000
Mayo County Library through Ms. Betty Solan, Kiltimagh has been the recipient of a gift of the works by the late Professor James Carney of the Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies. Professor Carney is best known for his translations of Irish scholarly works and as editor of early Irish poetry.The gift is from the writers son Mr. Justice Paul Carney and it includes a collection of letters received by his father from eminent academics discussing his work.
Mayo County Library has received a beautiful gift of a set of Nineteenth Century prints from Maggie Blanck, Brooklyn, New York. The prints are from a number of newspapers including The Illustrated London News, Harpers Weekly and The Graphic. Before the use of photography, newspaper editors dispatched noted artists to all parts of the globe to make drawings relating to the leading events of the time. Among the scenes in this collection are:
Sketches in the west of Ireland, February 1847
A turf market in the south of Ireland, Jan, 1880
A fisherman's cabin in Connemara, March 1880
Sketches of peasantry and tenant farmers, Dec. 1880
A vaccination station in Connaught, Dec. 1880
A number of scenes relating to Captain Boycott
A Mayo eviction, April 1886
Visiting a cabin on Clare Island, April 1886
Ms.Blanck has built a website devoted to her family history and many of the prints in the collection can be viewed by logging on to http://www.maggieblanck.com/ (external link: opens in new window). Mayo County library wishes to thank Ms. Blanck for her generosity.
The following donations have also been received:
- 1911 Census for Burrishoole Parish - donated by William G. Masterson, Indianapolis, USA.
- The Lucan Papers (on the Bingham family) - donated by Univ. College Galway Library
- The Stock Papers (on Bishop Stock in 1798)- donated by Univ.College Galway Library
- Peronnick The Fool by George Moore, a limited edition, signed copy donated by The George Moore Society
- A collection of books, videos and C.D.s relating to Downs Syndrome - presented by The Downs Syndrome Association
- A donation of €762 towards the purchase of books on women’s health for the Achill Sound Library - donated by Comhlacht Forbartha Aitiuil Acla (Achill Local Development Company)
- Print of Kate O’Rourke, Postmistress, Ballinrobe and husband Thomas Fitzpatrick, businessman, Ballinrobe c. 1900 - donated by Kay Brennan, Pier Road, Enniscrone, Co. Sligo.
- The Communion Book of Services of the Church of Ireland - presented by Dr. McCarthy
- Copies of correspondence from the Rev. John McGough, Lackagh, Co. Galway to Lord Kilmaine of the Neale, regarding tenancy of his family’s farm near Castlebar. - (also a copy of reply from Lord Kilmaine to Rev. McGough), 1857-1859 - donated by Peggy Concannon, Newport Road, Castlebar.
- A large collection of fiction and reference books - donated by Mary O Malley, Gortawalsh, Newport.
- An Appeal to the Public by George Robert Fitzgerald, Esq. (owned and corrected by Thomas Connolly), 1782
- The Career of George Robert Fitzgerald, better known as Fitzgerald the Fire-Eater, in the West of Ireland by Thomas Patrick Faulkner, 1893
- The Trials of George Robert Fitzgerald and Timothy Brecknock, 1786 (authenticated by James Browne, Grand Juror) Presented on behalf of William James Valentine Comerford, Solicitor, late of Tuam
Facsimiles of the Baptismal Registers of the
Methodist Church :
Castlebar 12th Jan. 1829 – 9th May 1954
Belmullet Erris 18th October 1851 – 10th August 1861
Westport 5th April 1853 – 25th July 1861
Donated by Rev. Cathal Duffy, Castlebar Christian Fellowship.
Localised Pasts and Presents: Critical viewpoints on the making of
County Mayo ’s commemorative heritages. M. A. thesis by Michael Quinn 2006.
Donated by the author.
Album of 24 sketches dated 1848 by Sandham Symes. Scenes include Glendenning Monument Westport, Westport House, Ballina, Castlebar Gaol, Pontoon and Moyne Abbey.
Resident Magistrate John C. Milling by Donal Buckley. Article on the killing of a Resident Magistrate in
Westport in 1919 including facsimiles of related documents.
Donated by the author.
Carrowbeg Parish of Kilcolman – Some Local History by Martin Duggan
Donated by the author.
Local History Department, Castlebar Central Library, John Moore Rd, Castlebar, Co. Mayo.
Phone: +353 (0)94 9047953